Do you want to ……
- have fun
- meet lots of students from other classes
- make new friends
- improve your health (heart, joint, back pain, headaches, stress, hormonal, diabetes etc.)
- relax / relieve stress
- improve your breathing/learn how to breathe correctly
- prevent future health problems
- get fit
- lose weight
- tone your body
- learn new vocabulary / language for hobbies and keeping fit
- learn directions / instructions / prepositions – improve English skills generally
- do a class with a qualified teacher who understands ESOL students’ needs and speaks slowly and clearly
- exercise in a Ladies only class
- do something free where all equipment is provided
- do something convenient (fits in with college timetable) and easy to get to
- exercise in a warm and comfortable room
- do a gentle style of yoga – suitable for everyone including people with health problems (subject to doctor’s permission) and complete beginners
This page is for anyone whose first language is not English. Even fluent speakers may not always be able to follow directions in a yoga class and language intended to help understanding might even confuse you more. For example, what does the teacher mean if she says "Roll up slowly like a rag doll"? ESOL students at Redbridge College can join my Wednesday or Friday afternoon yoga classes at Ilford Campus where I check and explain puzzling/confusing vocabulary within the class but everyone is welcome to use the resources on this website.
(Free to Redbridge College students and staff)
Ilford Campus - 2nd Floor Room MR2
Two classes every week during termtime:
Monday 4.00 to 5.15pm (ladies only)
Wednesday 12.30 to 2.00pm (ladies only)
A mixed gender class will be added to the timetable if male students want to join.
Culturally sensitive Hatha/Dru yoga for all abilities - language moderated for Entry Level speakers (accompanying resources and yoga mats provided). Improve your English with movement and motion!
See ESOL tab for additional help with vocabulary and grammar.